Welcome to the Nanaimo Modern Quilt Guild, if you love quilting or are new and would like to join the world of modern quilting you have found the right place. Modern quilting began it's movement in the US and is spreading around the world. The Nanaimo Modern Quilt Guild branch started so that people in Nanaimo & Central Vancouver Island have an outlet to get together and enjoy this wonderful art.
Please use the tabs above to explore our site. If you have questions please email: Nanaimo Modern Quilt Guild
To learn more about The Modern Quilt Guild visit:
The Modern Quilt Guild
Here's what Modern Quilting is all about...
Modern quilts and quilters:
- Make primarily functional rather than decorative quilts
- Use asymmetry in quilt design
- Rely less on repetition and on the interaction of quilt block motifs
- Contain reinterpreted traditional blocks
- Embrace simplicity and minimalism
- Utilize alternative block structures or lack of visible block structure
- Incorporate increased use of negative space
- Are inspired by modern art and architecture
- Frequently use improvisational piecing
- Contain bold colors, on trend color combinations and graphic prints
- Often use gray and white as neutrals
- Reflect an increased use of solid fabrics
- Focus on finishing quilts on home sewing machines
NEXT MEETING: Please see our Facebook page for updates & meeting details.